My son & his mother share the same birthday, i.e., May 28, but that is only 2.
But, for August 27, I have 3.
Yes, my 'accidental' father made sure that the 2nd event coincided with the 1st. So, that was a bit contrived. He liked 'anniversaries'. But, nonetheless, those two events did occur on August 27 -- 15 years apart.
So, I left Ceylon, now 'Sri Lanka', 59 years ago. Wow. I still remember that night. It will be 60 years next year. It was a week before my 14th birthday. Wow. I don't think either of us three realized that we were saying GOODBYE to the country of our birth. None of us three ever went to back to live there. We left for good -- though, on that night, we did not know that.
That August 27, 1974, was my very 1st working day was NOT planned. It was a TUESDAY. I expected to start work on Monday, August 26, 1974. But, that was a BANK HOLIDAY in the U.K.
Actually, officially, August 26, 1974, is my start date at IBM. I got PAID for that day, though I didn't report to work until the following day. So, yes, I started my working career by starting on a holiday for which I got paid. Pretty cool.
When I told IBM that I will start work on Monday, August 26, 1974, I had NOT realized it was a holiday. They had no problem with it. COOL.\
So, that is the story.
August 27 -- the one red letter day in my life. 😇

Comments
Post a Comment