Skip to main content

More Misinformation Online About (Dear) 'Acadia National Park'.

Within the highlighted box above (with MY 3 'Acadia' books on right) is just the title of a blog post that was published online today.

NO, I am not going to give you a link to the blog post. The post is for click-bait & I am NOT going to direct anybody to it.

Plus, the supposed author, an American living in Thailand, claims to be a famed 'editor'. I guess editors don't fact check.

So many mistakes just in the title & subtitle. Yikes.

First & foremost, as I repeatedly keep on pointing out Acadia was NOT the 1st National Park east of the Mississippi. Please check out this post (please).

Second, George Dorr (i.e., the heir mentoned) had NOT DONATED any land to the Park when it was established! 'Sieur de Monts' & 'Compass Harbor', his two pieces of land, did NOT become part of the Park till close to 1940 -- 20 years after the Park was formed.

It was others, e.g., 'Rockefeller', that donated a LOT of the land.

Dorr BOUGHT land for the land TRUST that morphed into the Park. But, typically he got money from others for those purchases. Plus, as of the 1930s, he also got money from the Government.

Plus, to characterize him as a Boston textile heir is WRONG. Dorr got most of his inheritance, upon his mother's death (in 1901), from his mother's side. His mother's father can be portrayed as America's first banker -- he was the first American to represent the hugely influential London banking firm 'Baring Brothers'. He ended up with his fingers in all aspects of American business. 

And then there is that last unfortunate line about 'the view'. Dorr had eye troubles most of his adult life and was nearly -- or totally -- blind for the last 10 (or so years) of his life.

I despair. I really do. 😠

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First National Park Established East Of The Mississippi: NOT 'Acadia' But 'Mackinac' In Michigan.

  Click images to ENLARGE . Link to ' mackinacparks.com ' website.

'Amazon' 'Kindle Direct Publishing' (KDP) I Down -- Looks Like It Was 'Hacked'.

Click to ENLARGE .

'A Single Thread' By 'Tracy Chevalier' -- Quite The Book (Amazing Research), I Just Did NOT Like The Last 1.5 Chapters.

Click to ENLARGE . For 'Amazon' listing .