Skip to main content

Ex-Sir Lankan Police Chief Sentenced To Death (But There Is A Moratorium On Executions).

News clips from 'Google News' ... check for more.

I heard about this (as I do with so much of world news) from my daily, unfailing, morning dose of 'BBC News'.

Given that Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) is my country of birth this, of course, caught my attention. Yes, I do remember the 2019 multi-location bombing campaign that caused 260 deaths. It was big news even in the U.S. Plus, in those days, I did a lot of reporting on Pope-related stories & these bombings were directed at Roman Catholics.

What struck me was the death sentence -- imposed on an ex-police chief. There was some profound irony in that.

A death sentence seemed harsh -- given that this, in the end, was still just gross negligence possibly exacerbated by some incompetency.

Then I find out that there is a moratorium on executions -- so this is really just a life sentance.

Plus, they have the right to appeal.

Longs ways to go.

As I often like to say, for good reason: "Only in dear Sri Lanka".

😇

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The LATEST Catholic Saint, 'Carlos Acutis' -- Credited With Saving The Lives Of Others, BUT Could NOT Prolong HIS LIFE?

Click to ENLARGE . News snippets from ' Google News '.

In Britain Skin Color Doesn't Denote Citizenship, You Can Look 'Indian' & Still Be 100% British (Even Native Born).

Click to ENLARGE . For 'Hindustan Times' original .

'A Single Thread' By 'Tracy Chevalier' -- Quite The Book (Amazing Research), I Just Did NOT Like The Last 1.5 Chapters.

Click to ENLARGE . For 'Amazon' listing .