Thurston's Lobster Pond, Bernard, NEAR 'Acadia', For Sale After 80 Years -- A FAVORITE Among Aficionados.
![]() |
| Link to their Website. |
But I am ALSO to blame. I haven't been there in nearly 10 years. My eating habits changed with COVID. I now PREFER take-out -- even from supermarkets -- to having to sit & wait at restaurants. Thus, post-COVID, I have tended to get my food in Bar Harbor -- given that that is where I normally stay.
We used to frequent Thurston's quite a bit -- at least once a year. My two youngest daughters, especially the older of the two, loved the place -- both the setting, the ambiance & food. But they no longer come with me to Acadia.
Me aside, post-COVID, the Acadia visitor demographics have changed SIGNIFICANTLY.
Today many of those visiting are doing so because of what they have seen (or been told) on Social Media. They don't have the affinity with Acadia that we used to have in the past. This LOT is only interested in the HOT SPOTS touted on Social Media, e.g., Beehive, Thunder Hole, sunset at Cadillac. They have no interest or appreciation of the lesser attractions in and around the Park.
Yes, historic Bernard is outside of the Park.
But, the FREE 'Island Explorer' bus service goes to Bernard. It is the furthest spot (from Bar Harbor) you can get to on the bus. Thus, going to Bernard, by bus, used to be one of our favorite RAINY DAY activities.
Things have changed -- & not all for the better.
Plus, Maine's lobstering, in 2026, is in peril, $6 diesel prices playing a part.
I am sure that someone will SNAP UP Thurston's. At $6M it is a BARGAIN. I hope the buyer will have enough sense to INSIST that they can keep the name. That name has value. So, with luck Thurston's will prevail. Most likely customers won't see any difference. All said & done, all the times we visited, the place was being run by friendly, energetic KIDS.
So, I wish the new owners all the best. Maybe I will make an effort to go visit the next time I am there.
Funnily enough I mention Thurston's by name in my book!


Comments
Post a Comment